Thursday, April 12, 2012

Right in front of my face.



After introducing Brody to Similac Soy Isomil, he seems to be doing a lot better. The past two nights he's slept 7-8 hours, he hasn't been near as fussy and we've gotten back to having more of our smiling sessions again!

Soon after posting my last blog, I logged on to Similac's website to do a little research. I ended up registering for Strong Moms, to get free samples, information, etc. I got a two-month baby update from them (as Brody's almost two months old; I can't believe it), and I saw this:

Signs of milk-protein sensitivity in babies


All babies are fussy and gassy at times, but if it seems your baby has more frequent fussiness and gas, he could have milk-protein sensitivity. Reactions can include:




  • Skin rashes

  • Watery stools

  • Irritability


If you are formula feeding your baby, these reactions could be due to milk-protein sensitivity. Your health care provider can determine whether your baby should be fed a special formula such as Similac® Soy Isomil®.



I couldn't believe what I read. What I've forgotten to mention in my previous posts is that Brody's had these little bumps around his mouth and on his chin, neck and shoulders. I knew it was from formula spillage during his feedings. I'd even mentioned to my mom that I thought he may be allergic to the formula or something. He's had watery stools and everyone knows he's been more irritable than normal.

I was so excited to learn that we'd finally put him on a formula that looks like it should be the perfect match for him. I ran into the bedroom eager to tell Klay what I read, only to discover him on his phone googling (of course) about the formula too. I guess our parenting intuition is in full gear now. We are both always constantly researching anything relating to babies and parenting.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm just glad to see my Brody get some relief and become more at ease. My smiling and happy baby boy is back again. Don't get me wrong, I know every baby cries and has his/her bad days, but he seemed like he was hurting and in pain all the time. The cries were screechier and louder than normal and he'd hardly stay calm for me to spend some fun time talking and singing to him. It was unbearable to see him that way.

The sad part about all of this is that I could have found a solution a lot sooner. If I would have really utilized my resources, more than I had been, and read the material I've gotten from the doctor, Similac or Enfamil, I might have figured this all out and saved us from some sleepless nights, exhaustion and frustration.

But hopefully, we are on the road to success in the formula department. These past few weeks have been so frustrating and have completely wore me out. I hated feeling like I didn't know what to do. I was at a loss.

From now on, I encourage everyone to utilize resources. Similac's website offers a lot of information about supplementing, formula feeding, and it even offers tools and questionnaires for your tummy and stool troubles.



Here are a couple of recommended pages/resources to visit to help soothe some of your mommy worries:


I'll post more valuable resources later!


Best,

Cassidy


5 comments:

  1. I loved your post. You are a very good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SSSSSOOOO glad to hear that you have figured out the missing piece of the puzzle. What a relief. After dinner last week, we left and I told Mikey how my heart was hurting for you guys because I remember feeling like that at one time or another when Ella was first born. It's tough, but glad to know you have resources available for help. Good job Momma! :) See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love doing this. It's so much fun and I love knowing that people are reading and enjoying these blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amber! I'm glad too. We're experiencing a little constipation today, but so hopefully we will get some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hii thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete