Monday, May 12, 2014

Thanks, Mom.


Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's, mama's, mommies, momma's, and ma's everywhere.

I want to say a special thank you to MY MOM.



For those of you who don't know her, her name is Joni. She was a stay at home mom for pretty much my entire life and this post is dedicated to her so, here it goes...

Thanks, Mom.

Thanks Mom for all the times you took care of me when I was sick. Except for the time I had the chicken pox and you had to send me away because you've never had the pox before.

Thanks Mom for all of the softball games, cheer practices and school events you came to. I don't remember you missing many, and if you did, you were at Brit's (that's my sister for you newbies) school functions, but you always made sure someone was there to watch me.


Thanks Mom for the Super-sized tampon you and Brit had me try out that VERY first time I started my period and for laughing when it got stuck. You guys obviously didn't think that one through. 


Thanks Mom for being by my side every time a boy broke my heart. You were my rock through all the tears and listened to how "devastated" I was to learn they were complete and total douchebags.

Thanks Mom for telling me I'm pretty even when I'm 40 pounds overweight, no make up on and feel like Sloth from "The Goonies."


Thanks Mom for being the cool parent in school all my friends wanted to hang out with--sometimes they talked more to you than me.


Thanks Mom for being the parent who listened to "Sweet Lady" by Tyrese and "Errrbody in the Club Gettin' Tipsy." Because of your awesome taste in music (except for your love for the Commodores) and your rad dance moves, my friends created a dance move called "The JONI" where they drove and did a Night-At-The-Roxbury like head-bob. Thanks for being "that" mom.


Thanks Mom for bringing my homework to school when I forgot it. And for starting all those school projects sometimes even before I got home because I waited til the last minute. Most of 'em I got 'A's' and they were the best in class, thanks to your artistry.


Thanks Mom for surprising me sometimes with a magazine or a cute shirt when I got home from school. I never knew what might be laying on my bed when I got home from school. Sometimes it was nothing, but I appreciated that you surprised me every once in a while. Those were the good ole days. If I only still got treatment like that from my husband.

Thanks Mom for loving me even though I flip my shit sometimes and totally go off the rocker. And thanks for telling me I'm not crazy, I'm just stressed, and then telling me that I should call Klay and have him bring home a bottle o' wine.


Thanks Mom for calling me every day I lived in Alaska. I don't think you missed a day, except for the time Klay and I went camping in the Alaskan wilderness and you almost sent the National Guard after us because you haven't heard from us in a day or two.

Thanks Mom for worrying about me even when I don't know I need it. Even though I'm 26, you still want to make sure I'm OK and I make it home safe. I'm a mom now, and you're right, I do understand why "parents worry about their kids."

Thanks Mom for coming up to the hospital without me having to ask when Brody had his seizure in the car on that terrible November night. I was so upset and terrified, but my worry eased some when you arrived at the hospital. There is something about a mom being there when your sick or your child is sick that can make things better.

Thanks Mom for allowing me to know what it was like having a stay at home mom growing up. I was never scared to call home if I didn't feel well or sometimes when I was cough, cough "sick" and you came to get me even though you knew I was trying to pull a fast one.

Thanks Mom for breaking up Britney and I from fighting that one time she kept trying to pop my first pimple. I'll never forget how upset I was for having a pimple and then my sister antagonizing me to let her pop it, which turned into an argument where you sent us both to our rooms. Pimple popping was clearly not a good reason for almost going all WWE in the living room floor.


Thanks Mom for allowing me to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and becoming a fan yourself. I'll never forget the Buffy marathons where we closed the blinds all weekend and had a rerun Buffy-a-thon and did nothing but be lazy couch potatoes the entire weekend.


Thanks Mom for not tearing up my "Adventures in Babysitting" and "Beetlejuice" video tapes even though I watched them about 8 times a day. I knew every word, every song and even dance moves to the musical numbers and you still never tossed the tapes out the window.

Thanks Mom for making custom made costumes all those years. Whether I was Lydia from "Beetlejuice" or Jasmine from "Aladdin," my costumes were always better than the store-bought kind.

Thanks Mom for being the best "GiGi" to my Brody. He loves you so much and he always wants to go to "GiGi's hooooouse." Apparently you're a lot cooler than me--not only with my high school friends, but now with my kid too.


Thanks Mom for taking pictures like this. I'll never forget you wanting to get a good photo at 7 a.m. before Britney and I went to school. I guess you wanted to use them for Christmas cards and we just weren't having it. 


I honestly can't thank you for everything you've done for me because we'd be here for a month, and to be honest, I don't remember it all. Sometimes it may seem like I'm not appreciative of you making dinner or coming to pick up Brody or watching the dogs, but I do. 

I appreciate you.
I love you.
And you're the best mom anyone could ever want. 
Thanks for being such a bad ass.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment